DEC 6th, 1978. Time: 06:57. Duration: 25 minutes.
Translation of the report:
“Brasília, December 7th, 1978.
“For future references regarding the event that occurred on December 06th, involving a UFO, this is what the air traffic controller CTA P..L.M. [radar approved, category A / 1] reports:
Control Units and Centers involved – TWR SBSP, TWR SBKP, TWR SBBU [Control Towers of: São Paulo /Campinas-SP/Bauru-SP], APP SBSP [Approach Control – São Paulo Airport] and ACC SBBR [Control Center of Brasília-DF Airport].
Aircrafts involved – PT SBD and PT SBJ from TAM (both from SBKP to SBBU, respectively at flight levels 060 and 080 – separation of both 20 longitudinal miles). * SBKP – Airpor of Campinas-SP; SBBU – Airport of Bauru-SP*.
Observation duration: approximately 25 minutes (with no actual radar contact with the object).
1. Around 06:57Z via telephone, the TWR from SBKP asked us about any radar contact of object warned by them; according to those operators, the object was of great luminosity and moved quickly in several directions. Negative answer by the ACC SBBR.
2. In a short period of time from the previous call, the TWR of SBSP also called us via telephone, asking us about an object, with the same characteristics, immediately following the question from the APP SBSP that also did not receive anything on the radar abnormal.
3. The PT SBD aircraft, first at takeoff, after activating a transponder, asked us if we were aware of other traffic on the same SBKP radial in a higher FL [level]. He had been informed of traffic by PT SBJ, which had not released the São Paulo TMA and was in QSO with APP. (the question was very strange to us, since the two aircrafts involved belonged to the same company and they fly regularly at the same time and stretch, so the commander should have knowledge of the other).
4. Around 07:10Z, PT SBJ called us freeing the TMA, informing us that there was something luminous following him since his SBKP takeoff, initially on the left and, soon after, on the right of his aircraft. We ask you to activate the transponder. ACC SBBR negative response after identification.
5. In the meantime, we request, via telephone to verify someone on duty in the video recording room, once we have tested over the telephone without contestation. The technician told us he would check. We told him that if he did, [he should also have to] alert the video recording operator to be ready for any request from us.
6. At approximately 07:20Z, PT SBD, entering the SBBU TMA, asked us to start the descent and then to call Bauru radio for descent. He informed us that the object had the ability to accelerate and decelerate in a very short time. We ask, taking advantage of the opportunity, to send us a part and / or report of the incident, addressing CISDACTA.
7. We alert the TWR of SBBU to observe anything strange coming from Campinas (RD300), that is, in the direction of 120 degrees.
8. PT SBJ, after a few minutes after contacting us, the commander seemed to us to be somewhat nervous, and we had the idea to inform him that these objects are frequently seen by many other aircraft without, however, having heard of any interference with their navigation or equipment.
9. This same aircraft returning us, informed that in addition to the luminosity there was a “traffic” in the three-hours position, passing below the said luminosity. According to the pilot, it seemed like an aircraft to the reaction. (NOTE: ACC SBBR was not aware of any aircraft to the reaction in that sector, and, we reiterate that we had no primary return or transponder response from any aircraft, obviously excluding these two traffic.)
10. Approaching the SBBU TMA, he asked us to start the descent. After authorization to enter QSO with radio Bauru, he told us he still had the light on his right and much closer. At this point the message was interrupted and we then lost the QSO.
11. We call Bauru again, who informed us that he saw on the left of the aircraft something luminous looking like a different star, very close to traffic.
12. We want to emphasize, at the present time, that at no time did the pilots report any difficulty in navigating, landing, also without difficulties.
We inform that although we did not obtain an effective radar contact of the probable objects reported, we noticed the beginning of tracking, however very quickly. [If these are characterized by an empty circle) there is naturally no conviction on our part that this was some sort of meteorological formation.
We base our services in order to check as much information as possible according to previous instructions. / PLLM – CTA.”
Cf. ARQUIVO NACIONAL (Brasil). Sistema de Informações do Arquivo Nacional (SIAN). Fundo ‘Objeto Voador Não Identificado (OVNI)’. Código de Referência BR DFANBSB ARX.0.0.176. “Ocorrência no ACC Brasília: avistamento por aeronave de objeto luminoso entre Bauru e Campinas, Estado de São Paulo”. Brasília, DF. 1952 a 2015. Último acesso realizado em 27/05/2020.
The BRAZILIAN UFO ARCHIVES website is a private initiative and IS NOT endorsed or sponsored by the Arquivo Nacional do Brasil [see our ‘Info’ page]. *THE ORIGINAL FILE WITH THE CASE REFERRED TO IN THIS TEXT CAN BE FOUND IN THE DOCUMENTAL COLLECTION OF “ARQUIVO NACIONAL DO BRASIL, LOCATED IN THE “OBJETO VOADOR NÃO IDENTIFICADO (OVNI)” FUND, UNDER THE REFERENCE CODE [“Código de Referência”] MENTIONED ABOVE. HERE IS THE LINK TO SEARCH THEIR WEBSITE <